Step 1 Marinade
1. In a bowl combine all the marinade ingredients, stir well
2. Using a large freezer bag (or a deep bowl) pour in the marinade and then add the steaks, toss to coat the steaks
3. Seal bag or cover bowl with cling wrap and then refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight. The longer the meat marinates, the more tender and flavorful it will become
Step 2 Cook the stuffing
4. Assemble and prepare all the ingredients as indicated above.
5. On the stovetop set to medium-low heat, preheat a dry skillet and then add all the stuffing ingredients. Stir, then cover and let simmer for 2-3 minutes until vegetables are al dente (not soggy). Remove from heat, drain any liquid and let cool to room temperature.
6. Toss in the roughly-chopped pecan chunks and divide the stuffing into 8 equal amounts
Step 3 putting it together
7. Preheat the oven to 200 C or 400 F
8. Get the marinated steaks from the refrigerator and, reserving the marinade, drain the steaks
9. Place a steak on a cutting board, add one eighth of the stuffing and spread the stuffing evenly over the surface, leaving about 5 cm or 2 inches uncovered
10. Beginning at the end with the stuffing, roll the steak fairly tightly to keep the stuffing in and prevent it from unrolling. Place seam down in a casserole dish or OPTIONALLY tie with one or two sections of kitchen string
11. Repeat until all eight steaks have been stuffed, placing into the casserole dish when rolled. See OPTIONAL STEP BELOW
12. Pour the reserved marinade over the stuffed and rolled steaks and place casserole dish into the preheated oven. Bake for 40 – 60 minutes. Actual time required will depend on the steak thickness and how well done you want the steaks.
13. When the Rolled Burgundy Steaks are done, remove from heat, place on a serving plate, Cover with aluminum foil to prevent surface drying and let rest for a minimum of 10 to 15 minutes
Step 4 the sauce
14. Pour the remaining pan drippings from the casserole and pour into a small pot, add the butter and water and simmer over low heat, stirring continuously until the liquid has reduced by half. Remove from heat.
Step 5 Preparing to serve
15. The Rolled Burgundy Steaks can be served as individual rolls or each roll cut into bite sized sections; this is personal preference.
16. Plate and then pour 1/8 of the sauce over the rolls, add the vegetable of your choice. Enjoy!
17. After all eight of the rolls are done in step 5, brown the outside of the rolls in a preheated skilled (add 1 tbsp of butter) set on medium high heat. Do in two batches and turn as soon as the side has been browned. DO NOT over-cook. Then place into casserole dish as above, but reduce total time in the oven accordingly. Then continue with step 6.