1. Into a large skillet or frying pan, set over medium heat on the stovetop, add the oil, heat to sizzling and add the onions. Cook the onions until they are translucent. Using a slotted spoon, remove the onions from the pot and set aside
3. Sprinkle the following seasoning over the browned meat: the black pepper, thyme, smoked paprika, salt, sage, tomato paste and dried parsley flakes. Toss well to combine. Cook for 5 minutes. Transfer to a slow cooker or, if continuing on the stovetop, a deep-sided pot.
4. To the skillet, add the green bell pepper/capsicum and saute for about 1 minute to soften up. Add the grated garlic and toss. Cook for 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to the slow cooker or deep sided pot
5. Pour the chicken or beef stock, or home-made bone broth, into the slow cooker or deep sided pot and stir to combine
STOVETOP METHOD: Cover the deep-sided pot with a lid, bring liquid to a simmer and then reduce heat to medium low. Cook for about 2 hours
SLOW COOKER METHOD: after transfering the meat mixture and adding all the ingredients, cover with the lid and set timer to HIGH – 4 hrs. or LOW for about 8 hrs.
7. OPTIONAL: when the soup is done, the liquid will still be thin, like a soup. You can serve like this or, if you prefer a thicker, more stew- or chili-like thickness for the broth, after adding the cauli rice in the last 5 minutes, sprinkle 1/2 tsp of glucomannan over the meat and stir well to combine. The liquid will thicken a bit as it cools