1. Prepare the kebab ingredients. Cut the chicken breast into large 1 ½ to 2 inch or 3.8 to 5 cm cubes. Rinse the chicken cubes in a light vinegar water bath, rinse under running water and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss well. Set aside. Cut the mushrooms in half. Cut the zucchini into ½ inch or 1.25 cm thick medallions. Cut the red bell pepper/capsicum into 1 ½ inch or 3.8 cm cubes. Cut the onion into 1 ½ inch or 3.8 cm cubes/wedges
2. To a mixing bowl, add the oil and Italian seasoning. Stir well. Add the chicken cubes and toss to coat all the chicken very well. Let rest for 10 – 30 minutes, or cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight
3. Assembling kebabs: onto metal or soaked bamboo skewers, begin by sliding your first cube of marinated chicken, followed by a wedge of red onion, one half of your mushroom, a square of the red bell pepper/capsicum, and a medallion of zucchini. Repat with a cube of chicken, the onion, the mushroom, the bell pepper/capsicum and the zucchini. Finish the kebab with the third cube of chicken, the wedge of onion, and completed with a zucchini medallion
4. The kebabs can be grilled on a BBQ. Alternatively, the kebabs can be oven roasted.
OVEN Method: preheat your oven to 375 F or 190 C. Place prepared skewers on the inside of a roasting pot lid or baking sheet with high sides. Use the remaining marinade and with a pasty brush, coat the chicken and vegetables. Place in the middle position of the oven and cook for about 20 to 30 minutes. Turn skewers once after 15 minutes. Cooking time will depend on thickness of chicken cubes
BBQ Method: preheat your BBQ and grill until the chicken is done. Turn once or twice while grilling
6. Side and dipping sauce: The classic cucumber and garlic tzatziki and fresh seasonal vegetables such as cherry or grape tomatoes, cucumber and raw broccoli florets are a perfect accompaniment for the kebabs