1. The day before, make a full batch of my keto sugar cookie recipe. Roll the dough to about 1/4 to 1/3 inch thickness. Slide parchment onto cookie sheet and bake for about 8 – 10 minutes at 150 C/ 350 F. Remove from oven, let cool and then transfer the cookie slab to a wire rack to air dry overnight.
2. First make the chocolate mixture. Over a bain marie set on very low heat, place a bowl and add the unsweetened chocolate chunks, confectionery sweetener, coconut oil, vanilla extract and heavy whipping cream. Stir from time to time as the mixture melts. It will take about 10 minutes over very low heat. Set aside
3. In a food processor, grind the pecans to a fine consistency – almond flour texture
4. Add chunks of the cookie to the food processor and grind to a homogeneous consistency
5. Pour in the chocolate ganache mixture about 1/3 at a time. Pulse to blend between additions of ganache
6. Add the rum and pulse to work rum into the dough. Remove dough from food processor and place into small bowl. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate until rum ball batter has hardened and is no longer sticky
7. Using your kitchen scale, scoop out 19 g or about a slightly heaping tablespoon of rum ball batter. Roll between your palms. Place the rum balls onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Repeat until you have made all 41 rum balls
8. Assemble the ingredients you want to use as a coating for your rum balls. I have prepared chocolate ganache. Cocoa powder, crushed pecans, finely ground pistachios, ground walnuts, coarse white sweetener, confectionery gold sweetener and edible gold sprinkles
9. Roll the individual rum balls in the ground nuts, sweetener or dip into chocolate ganache. After coating each ball, place back onto the parchment lined cookie sheet. When all your rum balls have been coated, refrigerate the tray of rum balls for 2-3 hrs.
10. For best presentation, place each rum ball into a decorative paper mini cupcake liner. Unused rum balls should be stored in a container and kept in the fridge. The rum balls will keep well for 1 – 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Or place in an airtight container and freeze, the frozen rum balls will keep for 1 -2 months when frozen. Enjoy